Health Certificates for Travel

Are you traveling with your pet?

Everyone wants things to go as smoothly as possible when traveling, especially when taking our pets along! It is important to realize that there is a great deal of paperwork and regulations involved when choosing to travel with your pet. Please make sure that you allow yourself plenty of time to research and plan prior to traveling, since many requirements are time sensitive.

Drs. Binder and Wind at Triangle Animal Clinic are accredited by the USDA to sign Health Certificates for your pets as you prepare for domestic and international travel.

What is a pet health certificate and how do I get one?
If your pet is crossing state lines your pet must be accompanied by a valid rabies certificate, and a health certificate may be required by the state. If your pet is crossing international borders a health certificate is required. The health certificate, also known as a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), is an official document stating that an animal has been examined by a licensed, USDA-accredited veterinarian and has been found free of communicable diseases or parasites as of the day the Certificate is issued. If a veterinarian is concerned that your pet has a communicable disease, he/she cannot issue a health certificate. Also, the certificate lists the recent vaccine types and dates of administration. States and countries require different vaccines for travel. Most require microchip identification, blood testing, quarantine, or other specialized forms. You will need a CVI specific to the state or country of destination, and some airlines require a separate Acclimation Certificate. Both of these certificates can only be completed and signed by an accredited veterinarian. 

When you return home, we may recommend a follow-up examination to make sure that your pet did not acquire any disease or parasites while traveling.

Triangle Animal Clinic’s Health Certificate Policy
Same-day health certificate appointments may be available, but is dependent on doctor availability. Please refer to the checklist below for what you will need in regard to calling airlines, readying rabies and other certificates, and the difference between Hawaii and other states. International health certificates are very complicated and time sensitive. Please plan appropriately. We recommend using a pet shipping broker/pet transporter for international travel, as the logistics of international pet travel continue to become more complicated. There are several available in the Houston area.

Domestic Health Certificate Checklist
For traveling with your pet within the United States of America (except Hawaii):
     1. Health certificates do not need to be endorsed by the USDA, but do need to be signed by a veterinarian
     2.Most interstate travel requires a health certificate; this is especially important for airline travel
          a. Visit to find what is required for the state that you are traveling to
          b. Call the airline to find out their requirements
               i. Travel carrier requirements
               ii. Location of pet in plane
               iii. Sedation policy
               iv. Health certificate / vaccination / parasite control requirements
          c. Provide a copy of current rabies certificate, if not performed at Triangle Animal Clinic
     3. Keep a copy of your domestic health certificate with you while traveling
     4. Domestic health certificates are typically valid for ten (10) days when flying and thirty (30) days if traveling by land
     5. If traveling to Hawaii, please see the USDA’s website for this state’s unique requirements
     6. Please complete this form and drop off your pet's documentation to Triangle Animal Clinic 48 hours prior to the date of the health certificate examination

International Health Certificate Checklist
For traveling with your pet outside of the United States of America, including Hawaii:
     1. Visit and research the requirements of the country you are visiting
          a. Be sure to check regularly as requirements can change without notice
          b. Verify if your pet will automatically be quarantined (this is based on the destination country’s quarantine policy)
          c. Many countries have specific microchip requirements
          d. Look for additional testing requirements prior to travel, such as vaccine titers, parasite testing or treatment, etc., prior to travel
               i. Some of these tests are required weeks to months prior to travel – plan accordingly!
     2. Call the airline to find out their requirements
          a. Travel carrier requirements
          b. Location of pet in plane
          c. Sedation policy
          d. Health certificate / vaccination / parasite control requirements
     3. Have definitive travel plans with specific dates and a DESTINATION ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER
     4. Determine if USDA endorsement is required
          a. Endorsement fees and schedule is available at
          b. Endorsement fees are paid at the time of USDA endorsement and are separate from the fees Triangle Animal Clinic may charge to issue the certificate or documents
     5. Health certificates typically need to be issued within ten (10) days of travel, but that needs to consider the logistics of having the document sent to the USDA’s office in Austin to be endorsed, returned, and office hours
     6. Please complete this form and have your pet’s complete medical records, forms and previously prepared documentation transferred to Triangle Animal Clinic 48 hours prior to the date of the health certificate examination

After your pet’s examination, the Health Certificate will be sent overnight to the State Veterinarian in Austin. Alternatively, you can take the Certificate in person to be endorsed Monday through Friday from 7:30 am – 1:30 pm (walk in only). Allow at least 3-5 business days for processing via mail. Most health certificates are only valid for ten (10) days following the date of issue, including shipping/processing time.

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Triangle Animal Clinic


7:00 am-6:00 pm


7:00 am-6:00 pm


7:00 am-6:00 pm


7:00 am-6:00 pm


7:00 am-6:00 pm


8:00 am-2:00 pm




Find us on the map


Read What Our Clients Say

  • "I brought Pumpkin to see Dr. Hadash. He was very professional and thorough. He took the necessary tests and prescribed the necessary meds. Dr. Hadash is excellent."
    Wanda A.
  • "I brought Pumpkin to see Dr. Hadash. He was very professional and thorough. He took the necessary tests and prescribed the necessary meds. Dr. Hadash is excellent."
    Michael W.
  • "They were great at explaining everything and treated me and my dog very well. They spoiled my dog with a few treats which she loved."
    Jeremy P.

Featured Articles

Read about interesting topics

  • What to Do If Your Pet is Stung

    Don't get us wrong, we love the bees! But we don't love when our pets get stung. Follow our tips to treat and prevent bee stings on your furry best friend. ...

    Read More
  • Tips for Traveling With Your Pet

    Do you dread hitting the road with your pet? These tips may make the trip more comfortable and enjoyable for you both. ...

    Read More
  • 6 Questions to Ask At Your Senior Pet's Next Check Up

    Want to keep your senior pet healthy and happy? Ask these six questions at your pet's next check up. ...

    Read More
  • Why the Controversy About Pet Vaccinations?

    As with anything, pet vaccinations can be too much of a good thing. Similar to parents who are learning more about vaccinations for children, veterinarians and pet owners alike are beginning to question some of the standard wisdom when it comes to protecting pets. There are certain fatal diseases against ...

    Read More
  • Pet Clothes: A Fashion Statement or a Necessity?

    There is nothing cuter than a pet in a colorful sweater, but do our furry friends really need to wear clothing? Although clothing is not a necessity for every pet, some animals benefit from a little extra protection during cold or damp days. Others enjoy wearing festive clothing during holidays or other ...

    Read More
  • Introducing a New Pet to Your Current Ones

    Pet Proofing Your Home Introducing your new pet to your current one is only a single part of the equation relating to taking a new pet home. You also have to make sure your new pet is comfortable in your home, which is a foreign environment to the animal. Like humans, animals can experience high levels ...

    Read More
  • Put Some Teeth Into Your Pet’s Dental Care

    According to the American Animal Hospital Association, nearly two-thirds of pets suffer from dental problems because their owners do not provide dental care for them. Imagine what would happen to your own teeth if they were never brushed or examined by a dentist. The same thing can happen with your pet’s ...

    Read More
  • Managing Pet Allergies in Kids

    Are you concerned that your child's allergies may mean that you will have to give up your pet? Although rehoming a pet may be necessary if allergies are severe, most children can live with pets if you are willing to make a few changes. The Problem About three in 10 people who have allergies are allergic ...

    Read More
  • Euthanasia: Saying Goodbye

    It's not easy to say goodbye to cherished pets, even those that have lived long, happy lives. Although you may hate the thought of life without your pet, euthanasia can be the kindest decision you can make when your friend is suffering. Making the Decision If your pet has been seriously injured in a ...

    Read More
  • Is a Wet Nose a Sign of a Healthy Pet?

    Have you ever heard that a wet nose is a sign that your pet is healthy? Although that's often the case, it's not always true. A moist nose can benefit your pet in several ways, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee good health. How Does a Wet Nose Help My Pet? Have you ever been woken at 5 a.m. by a cold, ...

    Read More

Newsletter Signup

Sign up for more articles